Friday, June 11, 2021

Investigation

Found a lead.

While the Church of the Father was the latest of the small religious groups that keep popping up around here, they were, as I noted earlier, preceded by the Church of St. Gualbert, who are still active.

In the 60s, the Church of St. Gualbert was investigated for possible criminal activity due to its founder, Ray Leitzke, being suspected of involvement with the disappearance of several college students. However, investigators found nothing of note in the church- save for a few odd symbols of crossed-out circles, newspaper photos of which are not unlike what I found on my recent walk.

At this point, I decided I needed a way to get information on the church without making it obvious I was involved, though, if I was right, they were already aware of me.

So I figured I'd pay their store a visit. See, Leitzke opened a bookstore called Enchanted Forest in 1971; upon his death in 1999, it went to Noah Morgenstern, who also happens to be a member of the Church of St. Gualbert.

Morgenstern seemed like an ordinary old man as I walked around the bookstore pretending to look for something, though I couldn't help feeling like I knew him from somewhere. He was very cordial to the other customers, as well as to me when he asked if I needed anything.

I told him I was looking for a book on religious studies, and he suggested The Sacred and the Profane. He said he had particularly enjoyed its discussion of world tree myths.

I noticed he was wearing a necklace with a black-and-white tree design, with several circles at the edges of the branches.

I nodded. "Is that a world tree necklace you're wearing?"
He laughed. "Keen eyes." He glanced around; there was nobody else in the shop. "Keep them out of our business next time."
"What do you know about the Church of the Father?" I blurted out. I wished I hadn't as soon as the words left my mouth.
His eyes narrowed. "Get out of my store."
 
I haven't been back since. I don't know what to try and look into next, now that I've blown my chance of being subtle with them.

Though, judging by Morgenstern's words, they were already keeping tabs on me.

Just like I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment